Exciting Announcements and Updates
Applications will be accepted starting 4 weeks prior to the deadline date.
A number of factors are evaluated when reviewing digital applications. In order to be eligible, the digital program must be based on a television program the Shaw Rocket Fund has invested in and must enhance the viewing experience for its intended audience.
The Shaw Rocket Fund is pleased to review your digital application. Before you submit an application, ensure your application follows all requirements outlined in the sections below.
Rocket Fund Investment:
- Rocket Fund contribution is an equity investment.
- Rocket Fund may invest up to a maximum of 75% of the total digital content budget.
- No maximum investment has been established, however the Rocket Fund expects to invest up to $50,000 per digital content application.
- There is no limit to the number of applications or total investment amount per corporate group. Should any one corporation apply and receive funding for multiple digital components, a preferred recoupment position for the Rocket Fund will be expected which may be tied to the recoupment of Rocket Fund's television program investment.
Rocket Fund Recoupment:
- The producer must demonstrate that revenue streams will be available for recoupment of the Rocket Fund investment.
- Rocket Fund recoupment will be equal to the percentage of its investment in the digital content. For example, should Rocket Fund invest 50% of the total digital budget, Rocket Fund recoupment will be 50% of revenues generated from the exploitation of the digital content.
- Rocket Fund will consider alternate recoupment proposals should the content being applied for warrant a different recoupment strategy.
- Allowable distribution fees and expenses will be negotiated on a case by case basis, and will be based on the Rocket Fund's general principles for revenue sharing in the digital rights for television programs.
Join our mailing list and get regular updates on Rocket Fund news and application deadlines.
- Enhances the viewing experience for the audience on additional platforms.
- Intended for children, youth or a family audience.
- Is made available to the audience in a meaningful way within 6 months of completion or within 6 months of the first airdate (domestic or international).
- Must be new or upgraded content (upgraded being new content or new elements that enhance existing content).
Rocket Fund will consider any and all digital content that meets the following criteria
- Is based on a television program that the Rocket Fund has invested in.
- Must be Canadian content:
- underlying rights are owned by Canadians;
- the content is significantly and meaningfully developed by Canadians;
- produced in Canada with at least 75% of the costs spent in Canada; and
- it is, and remains throughout its production and exploitation, under Canadian ownership and control.
- International co-productions are eligible if the television program is certified as a treaty co-production.
- Broadcaster involvement in the digital content is not a requirement as the eligibility will have been met through the television component.
- Should a broadcaster be involved in the digital content, certain requirements regarding the broadcaster rights in the digital content will be expected. See guidelines for the details.
The Shaw Rocket Fund Board of Directors plans to hold up to three meetings each fiscal year to consider applications for digital content.
Eligible applications will be evaluated on the basis of:
- added value that the digital content brings to the target audience of the television program; and
- Rocket Fund's recoupment potential.
- The Rocket Fund plans to hold 3 application deadlines per fiscal year (September 1 through August 31)
- Applications will be accepted starting 4 weeks prior to the deadline date up to 5:00 pm MT on the deadline date.
- In order to be considered eligible, the most current Digital Application Form must be completed and received by the Shaw Rocket Fund in Calgary by 5:00 PM MST on the posted deadline date.
- All documents listed on the Applicant Checklist must be included.
- Applicants will be notified of the final decision of their application within eight to ten weeks of the application deadline.
Applications for digital content may be submitted during the same time as an application for the television production however the Rocket Fund production financing agreement will have to be executed prior to the Rocket Fund providing the digital content investment.